This is the online dictionary of France developed by
Free Light Software.
By clicking on a French word, you can find France related sites from French search engines.
By clicking on a globe icon, you can display the locality on maps of France and Paris.
By clicking on a thumbnail picture, you can enlarge it.||Japanese version|
Cathédrale de Chartres
alternative words: Chartres, Cathedral of Chartres
keywords: church, human heritage, tourist resort
related web sites: http://www.ville-chartres.fr , http://www.chartres.com
explanation: Located 80 km south-west of Paris, at the center of a great farming region, Beauce, the cathedral of Chartres is one of the largest and the most beautiful cathedrals in France. Though there was already a small church at the same place in 4th century, the current cathedral was built in 1194 after many fires and has lasted miraculously until nowadays in spite of religious wars and French revolution.
Château de Chenonceau
alternative words: Chateau de Chenonceau, Chateau Chenonceau, Chenonceaux
keywords: castle, human heritage, loire region, tourist resort
related web sites: http://www.chenonceau.com , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chateau_Chenonceaux , http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/chateaux-loire/5.shtml
explanation: The pre-existing castle on the northern bank of Cher River, tributary of Loire, having been erased due to a treason of its lord, the new owner, Thomas Bohier, Chamberlain for King Charles VIII, built a new one between 1515 and 1521, by keeping only the donjon. Then the castle was handed in 1555 to Diane de Poitiers, a mistress of King Henri II, who would extend the castle over Cher river. After the king's death, Queen Catherine Medici confiscated it to make her residence and to lay out a beautiful garden.
Château de Chinon
alternative words: Chinon, Château de Chinon
keywords: castle, human heritage, loire region, tourist resort
related web sites: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jean-francois.mangin/capetiens/fenetres_filles/chateau_chinon.htm
explanation: Though there had existed already a fortress since Roman period on a spur on the northern bank of Vienne, tributary of Loire, Chinon increased its importance, when the count of Anjou, conquered the castle in 1044 and later the count Henri II became king of England in 1154. He fortified the castle by adding Moulin tower and Fort Saint Georges but French King, Philippe II conquered the castle in 1205. He reinforced further the fort of Coudry. French King, Charles VII met first Jeanne d'Arc in 1492 at Chinon.
alternative words: Dior
keywords: normandy, paris, shop
related topics: Yves Saint Laurent
related web sites: http://www.dior.com , http://mesparfums.free.fr/historique/dior/dior.php
explanation: French fashion designer, Christian Dior was born in 1905 at Granville, Normandy. Interested in fashion art, he gave up his studies and performed sketches for Robert Piguet. In 1946, he opened his own boutique at avenue Montaigne, Paris with a financial aid of Marcel Boussac. "The New Look" style created in 1947 was unanimously hailed by American public. After death of Christian Dior in 1957, Yves Saint Laurent was named chief designer before becoming independent. The company was purchased in 1987 by LVMH.
L'île de la Cité , La Cité
alternative words: Ile de la Cite
keywords: castle, human heritage, locality, paris, tourist resort
related topics: Notre-Dame cathedral , Saint Chapel
related web sites: http://www.insecula.com/musee/M0073.html , http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/quartier/00ilecite.htm
explanation: Initially, it was merely an islet lost inside Seine river but offering a secured place against invaders, a town had developed slowly. During Roman period, the town was called Lutece. It resisted against Attlia in 451, encouraged by Sainte Genevieve. Clovis of Merovingian dynasty made Paris its capital. In 885, the resistance organised under the command of Eude against Vikings. Rich in medieval monuments such as Notre-Dame, Sainte Chapelle and Conciergerie, the island belongs to UNESCO's human heritage.
Clermont-Ferrand , Clermont
alternative words: Clermont
keywords: human heritage, tourist resort, town
related web sites: http://www.clermont-ferrand.fr
explanation: Located in Auvergne near a volcanic chain, Clermont is one of the oldest town in France. After the conquest by Julius Cesar in 52 BC, it had become one of the largest towns on Gaul region. The council of Clermont held in 1095 triggered the first crusade. In 1630, Clermont merged with Montferrand nearby to become Clermont-Ferrand. 19th century founded Michelin is one of the largest tire factories in the world. Notre Dame du Port church built in 11th century was enlisted in Unesco's human heritage in 1998.
alternative words: Kolmar
keywords: tourist resort, town, wine
related topics: Strasbourg
related web sites: http://www.ville-colmar.fr , http://www.ot-colmar.fr , http://www.alsace-passion.com/colmar-1.htm
explanation: Located at center of Alsace wine production region between Strasbourg and Mulhouse, Colmar appeared first in 823 with the name of Columbarium, i.e. "domain of pigeons". During the middle ages, Colmar had belonged to Decapolis union of Alsace inside Holy Roman Empire. It was annexed by France in 1678 but had been ceded to Germany in 1870 until 1918. With picturesque houses standing along Lauch river, Colmar is nicknamed "small Venice". Colmar is the capital of Haut-Rhin prefecture and the population 65,000.
Château de Compiègne , Palais de Compiègne , Musée de Compiègne
alternative words: Compiegne palace, Compiegne museum, Compiegne
keywords: castle, paris suburb, tourist resort
related web sites: http://www.mairie-compiegne.fr , http://www.musee-chateau-compiegne.fr
explanation: Located 50km north-east of Paris, the town of Compiegne had existed since Roman period. After the disintegration of the Empire of Franks by Verdun treaty in 843, Charles II, by inheriting the western part, fixed his capital at Compiegne. During 100 years war in 1430, Jeanne d'Arc was captured by Burgundy troops, allied to England. In 1751, King Louis XV began to rebuild Compiegne castle and achieved in 1788 by Louis XVI. The armistice to end WWI was signed in November 1918 in the forest of Compiegne nearby.
Place de la Concorde
alternative words: Concorde, Place de la Concorde, Concorde place
keywords: locality, paris, tourist resort
related topics: Champs Elysees , Tuileries Palace
related web sites: http://www.insecula.com/musee/M0051.html , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_de_la_Concorde , http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris/Monuments-Paris/Obelisque.shtml
explanation: Octagonal place, located at the east end of Champs Elysees and next to Tuileries Garden, it was built in 1755. Initially named "Place Louis XV" to honour the king, it was renamed to "Place de la revolution", when the monarchy was overthrown. The French king, Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette were guillotined there in 1793. The French marine headquarter and Hotel Crillon are separated by Rue Royale on the north. The central obelisk of Luxor was offered to France by an Egyptian sultan in 1831.